Confucius Institute Organization
Hanban (汉办) (also known as the Confucius Institute headquarters) is the pinyin abbreviation for the Chinese National Office for Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language, a branch of the Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China.
The Confucius Institute (CI), one of the branches of Hanban, whose mission is to teach Chinese language and culture worldwide has grown to over 400 institutes around the world. The first CI was opened in 2004 in South Korea.
The NC State CI was opened in 2007, through a partnership with Nanjing Normal University, and was the first in the Southeast region of the United States.
Since our opening (and as of 2015):
- Over 13,000 students have studied Chinese
- We have hosted over 280 cultural events with over 388,000 people attending those events
- We have trained over 1,200 Chinese language teachers
- Over 230 students have traveled to China
- Over 1,420 students have competed in our annual Chinese Language Competition
Alignment with University Strategic Plan:
NC State CI’s Strategic Plan follows NC State’s major goals as outlined in the NC State Strategic Plan specifically Goal 1 (Enhancing Student Success through Educational Innovation) and Goal 5 (Enhancing Global Engagement). The Confucius Institute’s Strategic Plan also follows the Office of International Affairs (OIA) Strategic Goals specifically Goal 1 (Provide leadership and central support to enhance global engagement at home and abroad) and Goal 5 (Increase global extension, engagement and economic development activities).
NC State CI Major Goals and Strategic Plan:
- To become a Chinese language and culture center at NC State and in the community. (Goal 1 and 5)
- To train and support local teachers to meet the growing demand of Chinese language teachers in NC. (Goal 1)
- Enhance engagement, extension and contract training among organizations and businesses. (Goal 1)
- To increase and support Confucius Classrooms in NC. (Goal 1)
- To increase marketing and visibility to create sustainable programs. (Goal 1)
The CI at NC State is honored to have Nanjing Normal University (NNU) as our Chinese partner institution. NNU is located in the beautiful and historic city of Nanjing, China. NNU is known for its strength in Chinese Language instruction and we are happy to welcome such talented teachers from NNU to teach at our CI.
Our CI collaborates with NNU on various programs:
- Chinese Language and Culture Summer Program at NNU
- Students from NNU to study at NC State Cultural programs brought to North Carolina
- International Graduate Admissions
- International Undergraduate Admissions
- American Life and Culture Summer Camp
- Semester abroad at NNU